On a day to day basis, most people probably don't think all that much of their future as a whole. They may contemplate their immediate future, such as what they will be doing over the next week or month or even year, but normally the direction that their life is headed is not thought through very often. At least for me, that's how I am. There are many emotions that can arise when I think of the future: fear, anxiety, excitement, expectation. But for the most part, I feel excitement, the thrill that I have still so much ahead of me, so many choices to make. It might seem a little daunting, but if looked upon in a positive light, an empty future waiting for them should come as a gift. My life has only barely begun; I am still in the preparatory stage. However, this also means that the decisions I make now will have further ramifications for the rest of my life. Thus, this stage can either be very good for me, or really bad depending on how I choose to live these early years. Nevertheless, for me there are many basics which I know, at least for now, are open to me: university, probably a job, a future with the necessities of life, such as food, shelter, family. This is a comforting thought, because there are billions around the world who don't have those things. Henceforth my future doesn't seem quite so daunting when put into the right perspective. When evaluated against other peopless prospects, I feel very lucky indeed to be in the position I'm in. So what shall I say about my future in concluding remarks? Are there any great philosophical conclusions I should be drawing? Nah. For now, I think I'll just try and live in the present.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Haha, that sounds very like you Nathan: "For now, I think I'll just try and live in the present." :P
Good post. Some very insightful comments about the present affecting the future, too.
Keep up the good writing....and have a good rest of the break. :)
Post a Comment